||Carbonated and non-carbonated beverage
||Brazil, Argentina, Chile, Colombia, Mexico, Guatemala, Panama, South Africa
||Release to Market(s)
||Rigid PET bottle
- Reported that Coca-Cola invested $25 million unifying bottle design, $400m expanding reuse infrastructure (cleaning and refilling).
- Logistics and storage are simplified with a single bottle design across brands, reducing costs and improving efficiency.
- Returnables outperforming single-use in Germany and parts of Latin America, where reusable bottles represented 27% of transactions in 2020.
- Returnable solution typically costs less for the consumer.
- Reported that in 2019, the year after launch, Coca-Cola produced 1.8 billion fewer bottles.
- Reported 90% less plastic use.
- Complies with GDR#1 re: colour and labelling to maximize recyclability.
- Solution replaces single-use plastic bottle, a commonly found litter
- Compared to single use PET bottles, greenhouse gas emissions are reduced by 47%. Even with washing factored in, water consumption reduced by 45%.
- Lower prices and a reward system for returned bottles drives a return rate above 90% and a 15% higher likelihood of repurchase.
||(2022) Fast Company
(2020) Packaging Europe
Ellen MacArthur Foundation
North American manufacturer of refillable PET bottles: Graham Packaging