Challenge Question 1.1: Does the packaging maximize consumers choice and product availability?
- YES – Packaging provides consumer with maximized product choices and availability.
- NO – Packaging does NOT provide consumer with maximized product choices and availability. Determine if there are ways to improve this, and re-evaluate.
- DON’T KNOW – Determine if packaging impacts product choice and availability, then re-evaluate.
Rationale: A key packaging effectiveness consideration is how a package will impact consumers choice and availability for the product. For the brand owner and retailer, being able to maximize choice and availability is important, and will lead to repeat sales.
Summary: ‘Choice’ refers to the consumer having more products in more packaging options to choose from (i.e., more SKU’s), such as different sizes from individual/compact to bulk/family. While ‘Availability’ refers to the product being offered through-out a season or year-round, such as strawberries in winter.
Keep in mind that quality packaging along with maximum product availability and consumer choice can convince the consumer to trust the product inside and to justify its associated cost, which in-turn attracts the consumer to purchase more frequently.
- ‘Consumers’ Awareness, Behavior and Expectations for Food Packaging Environmental Sustainability: Influence of Socio-Demographic Characteristics’, https://www.mdpi.com/2304-8158/11/16/2388
- ‘Effects of Food Package Information on Consumer Preference, Choice and Processing’ The National Academic Press https://nap.nationalacademies.org/read/13221/chapter/8
- ‘How Does Packaging Affect Consumer Behavior’, https://www.meyers.com/meyers-blog/how-does-packaging-affect-consumer-behavior/
- ‘Power of Packaging in Consumer Choices’, https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/01/140107102636.htm
- ‘The Effect of Food Packaging Elements on Children’s Food Choices and Intake: A systematic review’ https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fnut.2022.998285/full
- ‘The Power of Packaging in Consumer Choices’, https://phys.org/news/2014-01-power-packaging-consumer-choices.html
- ‘Why Food Packaging Influences Consumer Purchasing’, https://thegreatergoods.ca/food-packaging-influences/